There is a 300MB file size limit for Unity Android Debug Symbols when uploading your apk/aab to the Google Play Console. These debug symbols are useful when debugging crashes from your players. The debug symbols that Unity generates is usually larger than the limit (500MB – 2GB). In my case, the debug symbols were always 1.2GB+
This issue should be resolved in Unity 2021.1+ but for Unity 2018 – 2020 the following fix will still work.
You can do method stripping or use a SYMBOL_TABLE but those options won’t reduce the overall filesize much.
Don’t worry though, the fix is quite simple. After you build your APK / Android Bundle from Unity (with
Create Symbols.zip enabled)
- Unzip the generated symbols.zip file
- Inside you will find 2 folders. arm64-v8a and armeabi-v7a
- Open each of the folders and do the following:
- Zip the two folders and use the same folder name as the original generated
- Your newly zipped folder should be significantly smaller and under the size limit.
In my case, it reduced the size of symbols.zip from 1.5 GB to 195 MB